MBA Allies can help you manage allyship commitment logistics if you have your members use our commitment form https://tinyurl.com/allyshipcontract. We'll send you all the names and emails of anybody who signs up under your school name. We can also work with you to create a unique version for your school
Contracts are commitments that allyship members choose for themselves (from a list of options). They're reminded of the commitments they selected via monthly emails, and are asked to evaluate themselves on how they've done.
- Provide a meaningful way for men to commit to themselves the kind of actions do they want to take
- Provide actions and reflections that most men would not think of on their own (i.e. this doubles as an educational tool)
- Monthly nudges can cause behavior change
Theory of Change
- Providing small, consistent nudges to reflect on behavior puts identity in the forefronts of folks' brains (for a short time) consistently
- If men across business schools are signing these commitments, it can provide a sense of solidarity and connection to a larger movement
Costs and food
Location / Participation Size
Enthusiastic and receptive men
Other resources needed
Survey program (e.g. google forms) to capture commitments and to evaluate themselves on those commitments
Roles and responsibilities
- Program lead
- Ensure that contract info materials are available at events and that this program gets communicated out through announcements and email.
- Send tailored monthly reminders/evaluations to each person with their chosen commitments
Agenda / Program
Tips and pitfalls
- Make sure to actually send the self-evaluation once a month. Small nudges really do make a difference over time.
Best to launch this program near the beginning of the academic year.
One month before launch / academic year begins
- Finalize timeline for marketing and communications
- Finalize commitment options
- Finalize process for sending individuals their chosen commitments and a method for self-evaluation
Subject: Become a male ally – low time commitment and big impact
By now you've probably heard of the [allyship group]. If you're interested in becoming an ally – a man at Haas who cares about gender equity (which is primarily a commitment of intention, not so much time), please take 90 seconds and fill out the Manbassador contract online: [link to contract]
Let me know if you have any questions!